Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:35 am

The Search for Caryn

Posted on UO Stratics News: Origin

The Search for Caryn

Upon hearing of Taryn's plea for help, I set out for the Pirate's Plunder in Buc's den. Finding Andrew behind the bar, I sat down and began to question him about Captain Barbossa. Andrew began Telling of me of a cruel and vicious assault on a young man named Cervantes, who had tried to steal an artifact from Barbossa. Andrew told me how Barbossa had chained the young man to a wall, and left him there to die, threatening death to any who helped him. He told me that no one was willing to stand up to Barbossa to save the young man, not even his best friend or sister. I asked where I might find his Friend, and Andrew mentioned he might be found in Trinsic, drinking his sorrows away.

Hurrying on to Trinsic my first thought was that this young man would be at the Keg and Anchor, but all that I found was a note from Otis Campbell, saying he was at the beach, fishing. I grabbed a couple of ales, and headed toward the shore of Trinsic. After a few minutes of searching, I found Otis wiling away the time fishing for anything that would take his bait. As I approached Otis I could tell that he was a man with many troubles. I offered Otis some ale, which he quickly took and started to drink. He then told me of happier times, when he and his friend Cervantes would fish together, but he said that was before Cervantes listened to that stupid stargazer. Perplexed, I asked him what he meant, he replied The crazy guy with a Telescope. After this Otis began sobbing and saying he didn't want to remember anymore so I set out for the only place a crazy man had a Telescope in this great land.

I then rushed to the telescope in Moonglow, looking for anyone who might fit the description that Otis had given me. I there met a man named Selcius, who appeared to be the man I was looking for. I asked Selcius if he knew of Cervantes, and he replied, Yes, Yes he was a stubborn young man, who wouldn't listen to reason. He went on to say that he had warned Cervantes to be careful, that the stars had to be perfectly aligned, or they would fail. I then asked Selcius if he knew what had happened to Cervantes' sister, he told me that Leslie was living alone on the outskirts of Yew.

Knowing that I was running out of time, I decide to forgo the public moongate system and pulled out my rune to Heartwood (all Elves keep one handy) and called upon the ancient powers of the Paladin, to journey there. After a little searching, I came upon the cottage that Selcius had described to me. I knocked on the door of the small but well kept cottage, and was greeted by a lovely young lady busy with her chores. She explained to me that she didn't want any visitors, that she was alone, always alone since the bad times. Asking her about these bad times, she began telling me of the attempted theft of the Artifact by her brother, and his subsequent death. She then went on to talk of Darlene and her children, but was very distraught and becoming incoherent. I asked her about Darlene, and she began talking of secrets and the Artifact. I asked of the Artifact and she said that Darlene may have succeeded in finding it. I tried to question her further, but she said that she had said too much and wouldn't say one more thing, Well maybe one more thing, when you leave could you take those muddy boots with you? Looking down, my heart sank, and I began to tremble. The boots that Leslie wanted me to remove, I recognized at once as Caryns. Knowing I was short of time I left the boots where they lay, and rushed off to Britain to find Taryn and tell her of what I had found, hoping it wasn't too late.

After my Journey across Sosaria, I arrived at the Councilors hall, just in time. There were already many people there waiting on Taryn. To pass the time I conversed with people and handed out some cookies, but inside I was fighting a losing battle with impatience. Soon enough Taryn arrived and asked if anyone had found anything out, to which I replied Yes I have found out a few things, and I fear for Caryn! Not wanting to waste time I cut to the point and, I Told Taryn that I had talked to Andrew, Otis, Selcius, and then Leslie. And at the end of my short conversation with Leslie that she had asked me to take the boots. I told Taryn that I recognized the boots as Caryns, and at that point I feared Taryn would collapse. After recovering, Taryn Told us she remembered something about Star alignment tools, and the Stars aligning, and that she needed to take us back to the beginning of the journey. But before we set out she said she needed to show us something, and laid a note on the ground before us

After we had studied the note, she opened up a portal and asked us to follow her. When we arrived we were back in the cave where we found her mother's journal, staring at a wall blocking our passage. Looking closely at the wall, we noticed that a control panel had been installed since our last visit, so many of us took turns attempting to decipher its code.

After many failed attempts, (and many painful electrocutions) it was finally activated, and the wall fell before us. As we ventured forward, we were attacked by the denizens of the cave, and we quickly engaged the lost miners, and the very winds themselves, in a battle for our lives!

The battle was long and arduous, as the miners were surrounded by a field that reflected back as much damage as we dealt them. The ground was littered with our corpses, but thanks to quick thinking Taryn summoned the healers (where does she find them so quickly?), and the Mages among us struggled to keep us healed and alive. Through cooperation, and pure Stubbornness, we finally felled the last foe, and began searching the cave. Before long the second piece to the artifact was found.

At almost the same time there was news that Caryn was found being held prisoner in another part of the cave. We all hurried to the spot and were confronted by Barbossa's goons, and Barbossa himself. Taryn and Barbossa began speaking, and their conversation I will print as it happened:

Taryn Sullivan: Barbossa!

Captain Barbossa: Well, well, well, I see you found my little surprise, pretty isn't she? *caresses Caryn's cheek*

Taryn Sullivan: *looks on in horror* You fiend! Get away from her! What have you done!?

Captain Barbossa: O now, now little girl, you'll get your chance to "reunite" with your precious sister. Of course, nothing in this world is free is it now? You want your sister, well, my dear, there's something I want in trade. I believe you have some pieces to a certain Artifact? An item your dear poppa stole from me and I think I've been more than patient waiting on its return.

Taryn Sullivan: *glares at Barbossa* Since you brought Caryn here, you obviously know where at least some of the pieces are. Why don't you just recover it yourself? Why should we risk our lives and why take my sister? Why do you even want this! It's apparent you already control at least part of the seas and the sea creatures!

Captain Barbossa: *scowls darkly leaning closer to Taryn* you stupid little fool! You don't even know what it does do you? You think I should be content to control the seas when I can control the land AND the seas? *laughs* Just take a moment and think about it my dear. Harnessing the power of the very winds, now how on earth could that be any advantage? *his voice dripping with sarcasm* your precious Queen may have convinced you all to rescue her wonderful cargo but if I controlled the very winds, I have little doubt she'd pay my price quickly. No ship could come close to anything I held unless I allowed it! Think! If I controlled the winds, I would have power over the crops in the fields...People's homes... every inch and corner of the lands! Do you not think I could have anything I wanted just for the asking?

Taryn Sullivan: Then why all the subterfuge? Why take Caryn? Why hold her here? Why not just kill us and take the damn thing!

Captain Barbossa: *grabs Taryn by the wrist pulling her closer* don't you think I'd have already done that if I could? *pushes Taryn away recovering himself* Your sainted mother saw to it that only one of her blood could find the pieces much less touch them unless handed over willingly to another. Of course, I only found that out after.... *hands Taryn a tattered book* as I said, I've been more than patient all these years waiting on the two of you to grow up. *sneers*

Taryn Sullivan: *looks up slowly from the book with tears in her eyes* So Caryn is the only family I have left and you want me to trade the lives of everyone for her life...

Captain Barbossa: Well, perhaps you aren't such a little fool after all *smirks* But, I know how hard a choice this is for you. Never let it be said that I'm completely unfeeling. I'll make you a deal, and I think you'll find this more than fair. I won't ask for anything this evening. O no! I'll just hold onto Caryn here a bit and, once you find the last piece, you can give me your answer. Is that not more than fair? As I said, I'm a very patient man! *attempts a suave smile* Well! Now that that's all settled, I'm sure you have much to think about and even more to do so I'll leave you to it! *pats Taryn on the head condescendingly* I just know you'll make the correct choice my dear. Ta Ta for now!

Taryn Sullivan: Wait! *almost talking to herself* what choice is this? How can I possibly choose? My sisters life or the life of every man, woman and child under the thumb of a mad man! Caryn, how can I do this?

Caryn: *struggles to make herself heard*

Taryn Sullivan: Caryn!

Caryn: *struggles to make herself heard*

Taryn Sullivan: Caryn!

Caryn: Taryn, my life does not matter you must find the rest of the artifact and destroy it No one will ever have a safe moment if you don't I love you and I'm thankful for our time together But you cannot turn the artifact over to Barbossa *droops from exhaustion and falls silent*

Taryn Sullivan: *falls to her knees sobbing* I've only just found my sister and now I'm being asked to trade her life for an artifact? There has to be another way! Surely someone somewhere can help... *wipes her tears and faces the crowd* I have to find some way to save Caryn I can't just give her up without trying There has to be a way and, if there is, I'll find it One way or another, I'll need your help more desperately than ever, all of you I'll send word, promise me you'll come *looks around beseechingly before going to find something that can help* *looks once more at Caryn* I'll find a way....

After we agreed to help Taryn, we then journeyed back to the councilor's hall in Britain, where we were greeted by EM Faine Morgan, and EM Buzz Infinity. EM Faine announced that it was Buzz's birthday, so in accordance with Origin tradition, He was forc.. err, asked to do a bar dance. Happy birthday Buzz, Hope it was a good one.